Amazon has everything, so you might think it sells everything, but it’s not right. Most of the sellers find the best products to sell on Amazon and even make arrangements for it to source and manufacture without knowing whether they are allowed to sell on Amazon or not. As a result, your listing gets down, or your account might get suspended.
Amazon is the first largest marketplace and is well known because of its trust. Customers buy from Amazon confidently because they know the products they are buying are 100% safe to use. To keep that trust, Amazon does not allow certain products to be sold on Amazon.
In this article, we will help you to understand what are the restricted products and categories on Amazon.
What are the restricted Products on Amazon?
Restricted products are products that are not allowed to list or sold on Amazon for various reasons. If any seller tries to list or sell that product, Amazon will take extreme action against them, like suspending their listing or holding their payment.
Certain products can be sold on Amazon but are not eligible for Amazon FBA, including vehicle tires, gift cards, floating lanterns, etc. Selling those products, you need approval like submitting specific documents, Performance Checks and paying a certain fee. But without prior permission from Amazon, you cannot sell any illegal, unsafe or prohibited products.
List of Amazon Restricted Products:
Certain items are restricted to sell on Amazon.
- Animals & Animal-Related Products
- Art – Fine Art
- Art – Home Decor
- Automotive and Powersports
- Composite Wood Products
- Cosmetics & Skin/Hair Care
- CPAP Cleaning and Disinfecting Devices
- Currency, Coins, Cash Equivalents, and Gift Cards
- Dietary Supplements
- Drugs & drug paraphernalia
- Explosives, weapons, and related items
- Export Controls
- Food & Beverage
- Gambling & Lottery
- Hazardous and prohibited items
- Human Parts & Burial Artifacts
- Jewelry & Precious Gems
- Laser products
- Lock Picking & Theft Devices
- Medical devices and accessories
- Offensive and Controversial Materials
- Other restricted products
- Pesticides and pesticide devices
- Plant and Seed Products
- Postage meters and stamps
- Recalled products
- Recycling electronics
- Refrigerants: Ozone-Depleting Substances and Substitutes
- Strike anywhere matches
- Subscriptions and Periodicals
- Surveillance Equipment
- Tobacco & Tobacco-Related Products
- Warranties, Service Plans, Contracts, and Guarantees
- Upholstered Furniture, Bedding, & Other Quilted Products
Why does Amazon Restrict these categories on their site?
To maintain a safe, best and trustworthy shopping experience, Amazon restricts these categories for various reasons, including regular complaints, customer safety, some legal and regulatory restrictions. Even the products listed under permitted listings must comply with all the applicable laws.
Also, Amazon puts security measures against unscrupulous sellers who try to ruin Amazon’s reputation by selling illegal, unsafe, dangerous and prohibited products. To provide the best-selling shopping experience, Amazon restricts these products that are good for both seller and customer.
To avoid facing any issue later, you must perform a proper niche research and then check whether your product is falling into restricted category or not.
Difference Between Restricted Products and Restricted Category:
Most of the sellers don’t know the difference between restricted products and restricted categories.
Restricted categories require approval from Amazon before listing products in that category. For example, if a seller wants to sell any jewelry, they must ensure Amazon that it’s safe to sell to the public and get approval from Amazon
Restricted products are items that are not allowed to be sold on Amazon. Therefore, Amazon listed some restricted products under the restricted category.
What happens if you list a restricted item on Amazon?
Amazon does not tolerate the violation of its policies under any condition. So, if you sell restricted products against Amazon it will lead to the following consequences:
- Immediately suspending or terminating selling privileges.
- Will destroy your inventory in fulfillment centers without reimbursement.
- Returning inventory.
- Will terminate the business relationship with you.
- Permanent withholding of payments.
In this article, we listed the restricted products and categories on Amazon. Therefore, before listing any product, read all the policies, so you don’t have to face any consequences.
If you have any query, leave a comment below; we will be happy to help you.